1 dessert galette pastry (1/2 recipe)
1 ½ pounds ripe nectarines, pitted and sliced
1 basket (6 ounces) blackberries
2 tablespoons mild honey, like clover, or 3 tablespoons brown sugar
¾ teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon vanilla
25 grams (1/4 cup) almond powder
1 egg beaten with 1 teaspoon milk, for egg wash
1 tablespoon raw brown sugar
- 1 ⅓ cups/165 grams all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon/15 grams sugar
- ½ teaspoon/3 grams fine sea salt
- 1 large egg
- Heavy Cream per instruction
- 1 stick/113 grams unsalted butter, cut into big pieces
- 2 teaspoons/10 milliliters lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon/4 grams grated lemon zest (optional)
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, and salt.
- In a 1/3 measuring cup, combine an egg and just enough heavy cream to measure to 1/3 cup. Whisk the egg and cream together, lightly.
- In a food processor, pulse the flour mixture while adding chickpea size cubes of the butter or use your fingers to break up the butter. Do not over-process. Drizzle the egg mixture (up to 1/4 cup) over the dough and pulse or stir until it just starts to come together but is still mostly large crumbs.
- Optional: Add the lemon juice and zest.
- Put dough on lightly floured counter and pat it together to make one uniform piece. Flatten into a disk, wrap in plastic and chill for at least 2 hours, or up to 3 days.
- Remove the pastry from the freezer and place it on a baking sheet lined with parchment. Leave it to thaw while you prepare the fruit, keep it out of the freezer until soft enough to knead it.
- Combine the nectarines, blackberries, honey or 2 tablespoons of the sugar, 1/2 teaspoon of the cinnamon and the vanilla in a large bowl and gently toss together.
- Sprinkle the almond powder over the pastry, leaving a 2- to 3-inch border all around. Place the fruit on top. Fold the edges of the dough in over the fruit, pleating the edges as you work your way around the fruit to form a free-form tart that is roughly 9 inches in diameter. Place in the freezer on the baking sheet for 45 minutes to an hour. This helps the galette maintain its shape.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Remove the galette from the freezer. Brush the exposed edge of the pastry with the egg wash. Combine the remaining tablespoon of sugar and 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon and sprinkle over the fruit and the crust. Place in the oven and bake 1 hour, until the fruit is bubbly and the juice is running out and caramelizing on the parchment. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for at least 15 minutes. Serve hot or warm or at room temperature.