- 2 lbs shrimp (peel and deveined)
- tofu extra firm
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 bag of rice vermicelli
- Assortment of butter lettuce
- English cucumber
- 1 bunch of cilantro
- 1 bunch of mint
- 1 bunch of Thai basil
- 1 carrot, julienned
- 1 bag of cleaned bean sprouts
- 16 (8-1/2-inch) round rice paper wrappers
- In a pot, boil 1 liter of water with 1 tablespoon of salt.
- Season the prawns with shell intact. Place the vegetable oil in the frying skillet and heat under medium high heat. Cook the shrimp until cooked through about 3 minutes on each side. Place the prawns in cold ice water to stop the cooking keep submerged until cool.
- Peel the shell from the prawns and devein the black intestinal tract. Cut along the deveined area to butterfly the prawn into 2 halves. Set aside.
- In the boiling water, add the rice vermicelli noodles and cook until tender, about 8 minutes. Remove and cool in a bath of ice water to stop cooking. Strain the noodles.
- Prepare the vegetables and herbs by washing and ensuring they are cold and crisp. Place on a platter to easily pick each ingredient.
- In a low rim dish, add hot water (not boiling) to submerge the round rice paper wrappers. Dip and flip each side until it softens, about 1 minute. Remove and place on the working table.
- Ensure the rice paper wrapper is dry and easy to fold. Place the deveined prawns about 3 halves in the middle of the rice paper. Add the vermicelli noodles, tofu (if using) and layer the vegetables and herbs accordingly. Ensure your length of about 4 inches.
- Fold each end of the rice paper over the stuffing. Use one flap closer to you and fold over to the corner where the stuffing is at, make sure it secured and tucked in. Then roll the stuffed portion over the remainder of rice paper. Ensure that it’s taught.
- Place on a moist paper towel and cover to prevent from drying.
INGREDIENTS and DIRECTION for the PEANUT SAUCE – DIPPING SAUCE FOR FRESH SPRING ROLLS
1/4 cup of roasted peanuts, coarsely ground, for garnish
1 tablespoon peanut oil
1 garlic clove, finely minced
1 teaspoon chili paste and/or 1 teaspoon sriracha sauce
1/2 cup chicken broth or ⁄ cup water
2 tablespoons tomato paste
3 to 4 teaspoon of brown sugar
2 tablespoons peanut butter (or more)
2 tablespoons of hoisin sauce
Heat the oil and add the garlic, chili paste, and tomato paste. Fry until mixture is thoroughly combined about 2 minutes. Add the broth, sugar, peanut butter, and hoisin sauce, and whisk to dissolve the peanut butter. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 3 minutes. Garnish with the ground peanuts.
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 clove of garlic (minced)
- 1 to 1-1/2 cups water or pork/shrimp stock (from boiling the pork and shrimp)
- 1/3 cup Hoisin sauce
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- Toasted peanuts for garnish (optional)
- Sriracha sauce for spiciness (optional)